April H. Sawhill Partner
Litigation and Trial Experience
April focuses her practice primarily on commercial litigation and personal injury cases, with an emphasis on catastrophic injuries and wrongful death. She regularly handles commercial and tort cases including insurance coverage disputes, securities litigation, products liability defense, personal injury claims, commercial contract disputes, breach of warranty claims, debtor/creditor claims, and real property disputes. Prior to working at Varnum, Ms. Sawhill was employed as an insurance defense attorney which provides her with a unique perspective on handling general commercial and personal injury claims involving insurance companies.
Ms. Sawhill has handled all forms of alternative dispute resolution in federal and state courts, including facilitative mediation, arbitration, and case evaluation. She serves as a Case Evaluator in Kent County.
Her recent significant representations include:
- Representing private investors with securities claims against registered representative, broker dealer and insurers.
- Representing a catastrophically-injured minor in his appeal before the Michigan Supreme Court against his automobile insurer for the denial of no-fault insurance benefits.
- Representing 13 individuals who suffered personal injuries in a train accident in Chicago, Illinois.
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association: Litigation Section; Tort, Trial & Insurance Section
- American Association of Justice
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan Association of Justice
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Michigan Supreme Court
- Michigan Courts
- Serves on the Board of Directors for Health Intervention Services, a non-profit faith-based health center in West Michigan
- Member of Leadership Grand Rapids, Class of 2011
- Executive member of Inforum
- Member of Trinity Lutheran Church
University of Tennessee College of Law
J.D., cum laude, 2004
Washington, District of Columbia
B.A., History, 2000
- Recognized as one of 2013 Women in the Law by Michigan Lawyers Weekly
- Named a Michigan Rising Star by Super Lawyers, 2013