Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I apply for Varnum's Summer Associate Program?
You can apply for Varnum's Summer Associate Program through an on-campus interview at your school. Students attending other schools are welcome to submit a résumé, writing sample, and law school transcript to the Recruiting Coordinator via e-mail. References and undergraduate transcripts are needed only on a case-by-case basis. The deadline for applications to our 2014 Summer Program is August 31, 2013.
2. Do you accept 1L applicants?
Yes. There are a limited number of spots available.
3. I was unable to secure a summer associate position at Varnum as a 1L. Should I bother reapplying as a 2L?
Yes! Varnum welcomes applications from students who interviewed with us as a 1L. Our decisions concerning 1L and 2L candidates are always exceptionally difficult, especially given the number of excellent applications that we receive.
4. I'm a 3L. Do I have a chance of securing a position with Varnum as an entry level attorney?
Yes. The number of anticipated position openings varies each year, but applications are always welcome.
5. Describe the interview process.
For 2Ls, most interviewing is done on campus in mid to late August. Shortly after the on campus interviews, you will be notified as to whether Varnum has extended you an offer for a callback interview. If you receive such an offer, the callback interview consists of 2.5 hours of interviews at Varnum's Grand Rapids office, followed by a networking reception. All 2L callback interviews are conducted on the same day.
For 1Ls, interviewing is on a case-by-case basis determined after review of all write-in resumes the firm receives. The 1L callback interviews typically consist of a half-day of interviews at Varnum's Grand Rapids office.
6. Are split summers allowed?
Split summers are considered on a case-by-case basis. We generally discourage first year students from splitting a summer because it substantially limits the extent of their learning and experiential process with us.
7. Does Varnum offer summer associate opportunities at their offices outside of Grand Rapids?
Varnum currently operates the summer program in our Grand Rapids office. However, within the summer program, opportunities may be available for summer associate projects in our Metro Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Haven, or Lansing offices.
8. What training opportunities are there for summer associates?
The Summer Associate Program provides extensive training opportunities, some of which include the following:
- A comprehensive orientation program
- One-to-one mentoring
- Any associate development training offered at the firm
Weekly summer associate luncheons. Past topics have included:
- Onsite visit and presentation by a firm client
- Golf etiquette and lessons
- 60 Minutes with management and Ask the Associates- ask any question you would like!
- Research/Legal writing
The success of our program is a direct result of the efforts we make to tailor our training and Summer Associate Program to meet the individual needs of the students who spend the summer with us. We work hard to give each student the opportunity to be successful and learn and practice their legal skills.