Compensation and Benefits
Varnum offers a highly competitive compensation and benefits package in addition to progressive and lucrative bonus policies.
Associates receive a yearly performance bonus based on meeting a minimum hours requirement of 2,000 hours with at least 1,700 billable hours. The remaining 300 hours can be met with time towards business development, training, or marketing. Greater flexibility means that you can work on the projects that mean most to you, and you receive credit for activities that enhance your professional life.
Discretionary bonuses are awarded for excellent work performed by associates, including bonuses for bringing in a new client, working on complex projects and building a niche practice group with a partner.
Other benefits for associates include:
- 401(k)/IRA/Other Retirement Plan
- Bar Association Fees
- Business Casual Dress Code
- Dental Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Family/Dependent Care Leave
- Flexible Spending Account/Pre-Tax Option
- Health Club Membership
- Life/AD&D Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Parental Leave
- Relocation Expenses
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Sick Leave
- Technology (Laptop, PDA, etc.)
- Vacation Leave
- Vision Insurance
- Expense Account for Business Development
The firm also provides an interest free home loan up to $15,000 and, for first year associates, covers the cost of the bar exam, bar review classes and moving expenses.